Saturday, 21 April 2012

Writing Successful Spec Letters


Because at least 75% of jobs are never advertised the speculative approach (contacting employers who are not currently advertising vacancies) is a very important part of looking for employment.

A Hook

The best approach to use is to try to find a reason why you are contacting the organisation. This is called a “hook” and gives added value and purpose to your enquiry. When looking for something to use as a hook, you might consider:

• Companies that are opening new premises
• Companies that have won a new contract
• Companies that are launching a new product or service
• Companies that have recently been featured in national/local newspapers or on TV

The first paragraph of your letter should answer 4 questions – why you want to work for them, what you’re looking for, what you’re offering and why they should care.

Here is an example of an opening paragraph you could use:

Having recently read about the impressive new warehouse facility you are opening in Glasgow, I am writing to outline my extensive experience as a Dispatch Assistant. I believe I possess the skills and expertise necessary to make a significant contribution to your organisation.

No Hook

If you are unable to find a suitable hook, then you can use the following approach:

Having carefully researched your business and its position within the market, I am writing to outline my extensive experience as a Dispatch Assistant. I believe I possess the skills and expertise necessary to make a significant contribution to your organisation.

Or:

Having recently completed my SVQ Level 2 in Childcare, I believe I possess the skills and experience necessary to make a significant contribution to your organisation.

Or:

Are you looking for a valuable combination of honesty, reliability and hard work? Then my work background will definitely interest you.

Here is a complete spec letter using a hook:




You can learn more about our writing spec letters on our Speculative Letters That Work course or on our Let's Get That Job! course.