Monday, 18 October 2010

This Is Where I Stay

I recently wrote about the Glasgow Photo Challenge, an activity I use with 16 to 17 year-old learners on government-funded programmes and thought I'd share with you another activity I like to use called This Is Where I Stay.

This is a simple exercise that gets learners to think about the place they call home and perhaps think about how it could be improved. As well as a handy little activity to develop writing skills it also gets learners to take a closer look at their community - the good and the bad.

I choose not to put a word limit on this exercise but instead ask the learners to think about how they would answer the following questions:
  • What's There?
  • What Do You Like About It?
  • What Do You Not Like About It?
  • Is There Somewhere Else You'd Rather Live and Why?
One of the interesting discoveries with this exercise is that although many of them identify numerous faults with their local community they would rather live there than anywhere else.

It's a simple activity that can be completed in a morning and makes a great display for the training room walls. Why not give it a try?


You can learn more about Gary Bedingfield Training Services by visiting our website at http://www.garybedingfield.co.uk/